- Head of Department
Aerospace materials center focus on the development of materials and process development for the domestic aerospace industry. Research area includes aerospace materials design allowables development, light fuel cell for drone, functional coating technologies on transparent films, fabrication of nano-structure for tribology coating and plasma processing.
|Fatigue crack propogation for aerospace material: 4 papers published, 5 projects granted on the materials design allowables development for KF-X program|
|Tribological coating: 1 papers published, 4 patent registered, 5 technology transfer contracts with 13 hundred million won, won science-technology medal and "world #1 technology" medal.|
|Corrosion and protection of aerospace materials: 2 papers published|
Major Research Area
|Aerospace material and process develoment|
|Aerospace additive manufacturing|
|Data base of design allowables for aerospace design|
|Highly efficient fuel cell stack for drone|
|Carbon (ta-C, a-C, and a-C:H) thin and thick film coatings for tribology applications using Filtered Cathode Vacuum Arc (FCVA technology)|
Future Research Plan
- Development of new alloys and their manufacturing technologies for precision tooling of high-strength materials
- Materials properties development for KF-X progrma
- Development of 800 W fuel cell system and UAVs for 6 hours
- Development of hydrogen free DLC coating on the IR thermal imaging lens materials to enhance the optical and tribological properties.
Major R&D Activities
Development of Fuel Cell System for Unmanned Aerial Vehicles
- This project is to develop the UAVs and electric propulsion system composed of polymer electrolyte fuel cell and Li-pol battery. Fuel cell and battery hybrid power system is packaged to the UAV fuselage and tested in the air. The hybrid power system showed the good response to the need of the power for the UAV propulsion during the autopilot flight of the UAVs.
- Development of 600 W polymer electrolyte fuel cell system for UAVs
- Hybrid power system composed of fuel cell and Li-pol battery showed good response for the UAV propulsion during the autopilot flight